Struggling with skin that’s as dry as the Sahara can be uncomfortable for plenty of reasons.
First, your foundation might look patchy. Second, your skin may start peeling and flaking, and you might have to deal with that tight, taut feeling that comes with dry skin. But, overall, it’s not something that you’d want to contend with, and that’s why Lavelier is here to help.
At Lavelier, we harness the power of red coral seaweed to manufacture skincare products that will give you the skin that you’ve always wanted. Red coral seaweed contains nourishing and protective bioactive compounds that have benefits for the skin. Known for its high calcium content, this ingredient is an ideal treatment for dry, scaly skin.
We pair this ingredient with other actives and botanical extracts to create a powerful blend that will target your skin concerns, leaving you with a clear, blemish-free complexion.
Why Do We Have Dry Skin?
Dry skin is a skin issue that impacts people of all ages. A few factors could cause dry skin:
- Age – People over the age of 50 are more likely to get dry skin. Aging is thought to reduce oil production from your pores, putting you at greater risk of developing dry skin.
- Season/Weather – During the fall and winter months, when humidity is low, dry skin is more common. Conversely, more humidity in the summer helps keep your skin moist.
- Bathing routine – To avoid dry skin, you should avoid bathing or showering with hot water.
- Previous medical history – If you have a history of eczema or allergic contact dermatitis, you are more likely to have dry skin.
Protect Your Skin’s Barrier
So, ever heard of your skin barrier? It acts as your skin’s bodyguard and helps keep the moisture in and irritants out.
Sitting on the outermost layer of your skin, your skin barrier is the lipid matrix found in the stratum corneum. There are three lipid components of the skin barrier: ceramides, cholesterol, and free fatty acids. Lipids in your skin protect it from the environment and water loss.
It’s important to care for your skin barrier because damaging it could result in serious consequences. Your skin appears plump and smooth when your skin barrier is healthy, which makes it feel soft. Conversely, if you have both dehydrated and oily skin, it’s an indication that your skin barrier is damaged.
Look out for signs like dehydrated skin, roughness, tightness, itchiness, peeling skin, burning or stinging sensations when applying products, and even crepey skin and fine lines.
But, fret not! You can always rehabilitate your damaged skin barrier. It takes two to four weeks for your skin barrier to naturally regenerate, so patience is a virtue in these cases.
How to Repair Your Skin’s Protective Barrier
To successfully repair your skin’s barrier, start by preventing skin damage and by minimizing the risk of external irritants. For example, wearing sunscreen every day, using lukewarm or cold water in the shower, and reducing exfoliation can help. In addition, you should also cut back on drinking alcohol and smoking.
Gentle products are essential for your skin, especially if you’re dealing with a damaged skin barrier. Avoid harsh ingredients like acids, denatured alcohol, and overly stripping cleansers because they can sensitize your skin.
To heal your skin barrier, you should use hydrating and skin-replenishing ingredients to hydrate and replenish your skin’s moisture content.
Taking care of your skin barrier will definitely aid in the daily maintenance of dry skin.
Load Up On That Night Cream
Using a night cream is another way to help with the daily maintenance of dry skin.
Night creams aid the skin’s natural self-repair and regeneration mechanisms throughout the night. A night cream not only replenishes moisture and nutrients to your skin but also boosts the production of skin cells to keep your skin healthy.
Night creams are also thicker and more hydrating than day moisturizers.
Since the weather can exacerbate dry skin, a night cream will make your dry skin feel smooth and moisturized in the morning, which is beneficial if you live in a cold, dry climate.
Your skin also absorbs your skincare products better at night. Did you know your skin absorbs up to 90% of the products you put on your skin at night, compared to 75% during the day? That’s a pretty good reason to slather on some night cream before getting your much-needed shuteye.
Well-hydrated skin also results in a gorgeous glowing complexion. It will make you look more radiant and beautiful when you wake up in the morning.
If you’re looking for a great night cream, look no further! We recommend the Lavelier Marine Evening Repair Cream.
Enriched with the goodness of shea butter, sunflower seed oil, and glycerin, this night cream contains a cocktail of hydrating and nourishing ingredients that will give your skin the beauty sleep it needs. Better yet, this product also contains dimethicone. This is a type of silicone. It effectively protects your skin barrier from external irritants and moisture loss. Additionally, it’s non-comedogenic, meaning that it doesn’t clog pores.
Use Products With Skin Hydrating Ingredients
The general rule of thumb when you’ve got dry skin is that you need a skincare routine filled with products that will boost your skin’s hydration levels.
Some of the ingredients you should look out for are:
- Glycerin – Glycerin is a humectant, which means it draws moisture from deeper layers of your skin and the air into the outer layer of your skin.
- Sodium Hyaluronate – Sodium hyaluronate is a water-soluble version of hyaluronic acid. It’s a skincare ingredient that helps firm, moisturize, and retain moisture.
- Niacinamide – Niacinamide, when applied topically, can build the skin’s moisture barrier, reducing moisture loss and dehydration, as well as the visible impacts of environmental damage. This can make your skin appear healthier and more radiant.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera moisturizes the skin and leaves no oily behind after application because it contains 95% water.
- Snow Lotus Extract – It hydrates, soothes, and restores skin by repairing moisture barriers.
- Water Lily Extract – White water lily extract has a hydrating and conditioning effect on the skin, allowing it to stay plump, moisturized, and smooth.
- Centella Asiatica Extract – Centella asiatica extract is beneficial not only in anti-aging cosmetics but also in enhancing skin moisture. It can be employed in the treatment of dry and sensitive skin.
- Jojoba Seed Extract – Jojoba oil can be used as a natural facial conditioner since it closely resembles your skin’s own sebum.
The great news is that one of Lavelier’s bestsellers has all of these ingredients, making it a perfect product for the daily maintenance of dry skin.
Enter, Lavelier’s Blue Algae Beauty Skincare Duo.
The Ultimate Hydrator
Your skin will feel amazingly smooth in just minutes with this glow-enhancing skincare set.
The Blue Algae Regenerating Powder combines the antioxidant powers of resveratrol and blue algae with the exfoliating capabilities of pumice. It’s designed to support the skin against environmental stressors.
This is followed by the Blue Algae Calming Concentrate. It contains water lily extract and blue algae to deliver a cooling effect while also soothing the skin and leaving it feeling smooth and supple.
Vitamin C is a Must-Have in Your Routine
Vitamin C is a great addition to your routine, and with good reason too. It’s a versatile ingredient that has so many benefits for your skin.
Vitamin C can improve your collagen production. So, using it with UVA-blocking sunscreen will keep your collagen from breaking down even more. It is a powerful antioxidant that helps to avoid the formation of free radicals in your body.
This ingredient is generally safe for most skin types. It can also be used with other active ingredients.
For those of you who have to contend with dry skin, vitamin C is suitable for you. One of the most common vitamin C derivatives used in skincare, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, has been demonstrated to hydrate skin. It reduces transepidermal water loss, allowing your skin to retain moisture more effectively. Besides that, this vitamin can also aid with skin barrier function.
Lavelier’s Nourishing Vitamin C Serum is perfect for the daily maintenance of dry skin.
This serum can help you regain your skin’s radiance and vitality. The Nourishing Vitamin C Serum is enriched with Vitamin C, Retinyl Palmitate, and potent marine botanicals to help you look and feel more rested and radiant while also reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Use the Right Moisturizer for Your Skin
Maintaining your skin’s balance can be as simple as using the correct moisturizer. Many common skin disorders, such as acne and premature aging, can emerge when your skin is excessively dry or too oily.
When it comes to the daily maintenance of dry skin, using the correct moisturizer is crucial, and here are some reasons why:
- Moisturizing your skin keeps it looking fresh – Moisturizing your sensitive skin might give it the boost it needs to heal and stay healthy.
- Other blemishes can be diminished by moisturizing – Skin that has been freshly moisturized has a healthy sheen to it, which can help to conceal any existing imperfections.
- Moisturizing helps to prevent skin issues – Many common skin disorders appear when skin is excessively dry or too greasy. If your skin is oily, we recommend looking for lotions rather than creams and finding a moisturizer with an exfoliating element. If your skin is prone to dryness, seek a cream with a higher oil content.
- Moisturizing helps to prevent wrinkles – Your skin will feel firmer and more supple after using moisturizer because keeping your skin hydrated will help plump up wrinkles and fine lines.
One moisturizer we’d recommend is the HydroTherm Completion Creme from Lavelier.
With the Lavelier HydroTherm Completion Creme, you’ll feel rejuvenated and polished. Containing Hyaluronic Acid, this revolutionary skincare product helps rapidly disperse and eliminate the look of fine lines and enlarged pores.
Are You Dehydrated or Just Dry?
Did you know that dry skin and dehydrated skin are different?
Dry skin is a skin type, but dehydrated skin is a skin condition. Dry skin lacks oil, is flaky and harsh, and can be caused by heredity. On the other hand, dehydrated skin lacks water. It appears dull and tight after eating alcohol or caffeine.
You may not experience as many blemishes as your oily skinned counterparts, but the skin relies on oil to retain moisture. As a result, your skin may appear rough and flaky without it, and wrinkles may appear more prominent.
If your skin lacks oil, is flaky and uncomfortable, you most likely have dry skin.
That’s why it’s essential to determine your skin type, so you use the right skin products and don’t risk a skin breakout.
For dehydrated skin, it’s always best to go for a more gentle routine that will not strip your skin of its natural oils. Instead, opt for sulfate-free cleansers and ceramide-rich products, give your skin lots of TLC, and your skin will be back to normal in no time!
If your skin is on the drier side, try layering your skincare products for that boost of hydration, and seal it with a thick, occlusive moisturizer.
All in all, dry skin may be a pain to deal with, but there are ways to circumvent this. A smart way to tackle the daily maintenance of dry skin is by using effective yet gentle products on the skin.
At Lavelier, we have products that cater to different skin concerns. Using well-researched ingredients backed up by science, we aim to provide you with skin care products that will work on people with varying skin types.